Learning how to sew.....

My friend Frances had her mom recently teach her how to sew. Within the past couple of months I have really have a desire to learn how to. My mom and grandmother were wonderful at it. I can remember them both having the sewing machine on the kitchen table and fabric and patterns would be scattered across the kitchen floor when my grandmother would come visit.

So Frances agreed to teach me! I pulled out my mom's sewing machine with all her stuff she used. It brought back wonderful memories of my mom making me stand on a chair in the kitchen so she could hem a pair of pants for me.

Let me give you some back round on my sewing capabilities. I am not in any way crafty! I rather buy it then make it. I didn't even know how to turn the machine or or sew a button on a shirt! So Frances was in for it. I recently purchased new bedding from West Elm and wanted some pillows that would go with it that would add some color.



I also made my an upholstered head board. The great thing about this is you can change out the fabric on it when you get sick of it. I bought some new fabric that now matches my new pillows. I will post pics of that when I finish that project.

Back to the pillows. I spent a total $35.00 on them. Joann's is WONDERFUL. I am very proud of myself for completing the pillows. Here are a few pics from the night.




My first hem!








1 comments:

Susie (So Blessed) said...

Great job on the sewing! I've been so pleased that Brooke has learned, too. (I found your blog from hers!) Sewing has always been one of my favorite hobbies. It really does come in handy for making things for your house.

Post a Comment